SMaRT Platinum Certification
05/06/2012 - With Interpon Powder Coatings, Every Colour Is Green. But it’s not just our products that are environmentally friendly. We are striving to constantly improve our sustainability record in every aspect of our company.
In August 2011 we were awarded SMaRT Sustainable Platinum Certification, and we were the FIRST Coatings Company to achieve a SMaRT certification. What’s more, the Sustainable Platinum certification is the highest level a company can achieve.
Benefits to you
- You can rest assured that you are purchasing an independently certified product that lowers the burden on the environment, economy and social equity.
- You can also have complete confidence in our environmental claims.
- By using our coatings, this provides additional sustainability value to your products and brands.
- Our products illustrate an exemplary rate of reclamation by using the customised spray booth system that results in an overall 96% rate of efficiency. That saves you time and money.
- We developed a patented process that results in an average 50% conservation of materials. Ask your representative for more details.
- We have secured ISO 9001 which illustrates exemplary measures have been taken to ensure a quality product is supplied to the market.
- You know that our products are submitted to several testing authorities to ensure the that they meet durability criteria to maximise their lifespan.
- 28 % of energy used by AkzoNobel Powder Coatings in 2009 came from renewable sources. And this number is improving all the time.
- In the last five years, our energy consumption decreased by 3% per ton of product. And we continue to work at it.
- In the same time period, we reduced our CO2 emissions by 14% by switching to cleaner energy sources and increasing renewable energy sources.
- SMaRT standard shows our commitment to sustainability which also stretches to finding sustainable solutions in application. You can benefit from these changes.
Which Interpon products are SMaRT
All of our current products are SMaRT. For information on previously sold products please contact you representative.
What is SMaRT?
SMaRT stands for Sustainable Materials Rating Technology.
A 3rd party certification awarded by the Institute of Market Transformation to Sustainability (MTS), the SMaRT certification was launched in 2002. It has quickly been established as the major standard for product sustainability as it evaluates sustainability performance over a product’s life cycle and supply chain, using criteria from the areas of Health and Safety, Environment, Social Equity and Reclamation. MTS also ensure that the entire process is transparent and verifiable.
With Interpon Powder Coatings Every Colour Is Green.
And now we have external third party certification to recognise the continuous investment in sustainability to make each and every process step, and each and every product as sustainable as possible.
There are many sustainability accreditations available with over 23 sustainable product certifications recognized by the Green Building Alliance alone. As a global company, we wanted something that was recognized internationally and that was independently verifiable.
Research shows that there are 5 critical requirements for conducting an optimal sustainable product certification.
- International methodology
- Streamlined Process
- Resource efficiency
- Supply Chain Approach
The only sustainable product standard that meets all 5 requirements is SMaRT
How is a SMaRT certification achieved?
It is not an easy process. Strict internal and external audits were completed – the SMaRT certification process incorporates 41 leading standards, such as ISO 14001 Environmental Management, and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified Wood. In addition, a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) were conducted to measure the environmental impact occurring throughout a product’s lifecycle.
Once all the audits were completed, points are awarded for each section.
So what do these points mean – why are Interpon Powder Coatings SMaRT?
Interpon Powder Coatings achieved the highest possible SMaRT certification – sustainable platinum. To achieve this we were able to display an extremely high degree of sustainability awareness and investment.
Fitout products (flooring, assemblies and loose furniture) that have been certified for their environmental merit by a GBCA-recognised product certification standard are rewarded in Green Star Material Calculators credits. For the full GBCA Media Release “First International Product Certification Standard recognised by Green Star”.
Which is the hardest color to make? Lime green, maybe, or turquoise?
On 31st October 2011, the world hit a major milestone: the 7 billionth person...
The Swedish ambassador and a former prime minister of the Netherlands were...
AkzoNobel has cemented its position as a global sustainability leader after...