This exciting new venture is funded by the Department of Sustainability & Environment (DSE) and will initially work with a small group of Departments and Agencies to pilot existing ECO-Buy services to develop an adapted program for roll out.
The Victorian Government spends around $5 billion each year on operating supplies and consumables. In driving better value for money the Government has the opportunity to significantly reduce its own environmental ‘footprint’ and that of its suppliers.
ECO-Buy works with state government to encourage purchasing of green products. Green purchasing is an ideal way for state government to demonstrate to their communities, and suppliers, that they are taking positive steps to create a more sustainable future by choosing to buy products that are less damaging to our environment and human health.
Generally, membership of ECO-Buy's programs consist of 7 steps:
- Nominate a staff person to coordinate implementation of the ECO-Buy program
- Establish a Working Group
- Develop, adopt and implement a Green Purchasing Policy
- Develop and implement an annual Action Plan
- Establish a system to track the purchasing of green products
- Provide an Annual Report to ECO-Buy on your organisation's purchasing of green products.
- Review and improve green purchasing plan