Australia's #1 industrial directory for equipment & suppliers

Electricians support Royal Commission into insulation 'disaster'

15 November, 2013

Master Electricians Australia (MEA) has welcomed the Coalition's launch of the $25m Royal Commission into the Rudd government's controversial pink batts program.

MEA chief executive Malcolm Richards said he was pleased to see Prime Minister Tony Abbott and the Coalition government had kept their pre-election promise to establish a full judicial inquiry into the former federal government's bungled Home Insulation Program (HIP).

"The scheme was rolled out hastily without proper planning around safety, or proper consultation with industry," Richards said.

"The Queensland Coroner's report released earlier this year found warnings to the Rudd government raising urgent safety concerns by industry had been ignored and I expect the Royal Commission will have similar findings.

"It's essential a disaster like this is never repeated which is why we welcome this Royal Commission and are urging the inquest to not only look into what advice and warnings  were potentially ignored but to also urgently examine the issue of safety switches."

Richards said Master Electricians Australia recommended regulations were put in place to make safety switches compulsory on every circuit of every home.

"Tragic incidents like the deaths under the HIP could have easily been avoided had safety switches been installed on every circuit in those homes," he said.

View comments (2)

Have your say...

We welcome thoughtful comments from readers
Reload characters
Type the characters you see in this box. This helps us prevent automated programs from sending spam.
Quale | Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:05 AM
Yep, earth leakage safety switches should definitely be mandatory on all electrical installations in this country. But this does not excuse the idiots who decided to use conductive foil as insulation during this program.
Adam | Friday, November 15, 2013, 1:30 PM
As a timber pest inspector who is daily crawling through roof voids, this is welcome news. A building inspector I work with was electrocuted in a roof & is lucky to be alive. Like me he has a wife & kids who depend on him & expect him to be able to work in a safe environment like most Australians are able to.