This accredited unit of competency (TLILIC508A) license to operate a boom type elevating work platform (Boom Length 11 Metres or More) is based on the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work. This unit specifies the outcomes required to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more) for licensing purposes and involves the operation of a telescoping device, hinged device, or articulated device or any combination of these used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment and materials may be elevated to perform work.
The course, conducted at Forktalk premises, is for people with either prior or no experience operating elevating work platforms and is conducted by a Registered Training Organisation [RTO]. Training is delivered in small groups and includes structured theory and practical elements –applicants must pass an assessment in both to gain a WorkCover NSW licence to perform high risk work. Our course takes approximately 3 days [or 12-18 hours] of training. When applicants are ready assessments will be conducted on separate days (see note below). Practical training is conducted on the EWP equipment at our facility; a booklet is provided with the theory information required to be learned ; questionnaires set for homework.Training is supervised by an experienced Forktalk instructor at all times.
- Operator responsibilities
- Safe use and introduction to equipment
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Plan the work
- Conduct routine checks
- Set up elevating work platform
- Operate elevating work platform
- Shut down and secure elevating work platform
- Assessment of the safe and effective application of knowledge and skill to workplace tasks.
- Compliance with WHS licensing legislation
- Emergency procedures and safety equipment, including the use of safety harness, energy absorbers, lanyard and anchor points
- Assessment of ground conditions to confirm that the site is suitable (e.g. firm, level and safe) to extend and travel the elevating work platform.
- Risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Appropriate procedures for estimation of loads.
- Positioning and operation of the elevating work platform to ensure that the safest lift is performed.