Testing covers energy efficiency, temperature cycling, vibration and shock, humidity testing and IP testing for the prevention of water and dust to AS/NZS 60529 and the European and International equivalents.
IP (Ingress Protection) numerals explained in basic terms, please refer to the standard for specifics:
IP First Numeral - Protection from solid objects/dust, IP
- IP0X - No protection
- IP1X - Protection against solid objects > 50 mm
- IP2X - Protection against solid objects > 12 mm
- IP3X - Protection against solid objects > 2.5 mm
- IP4X - Protection against solid objects > 1 mm
- IP5X - Protection against dust (limited ingress allowed, no harmful deposit).
- IP6X - Fully protected from dust (dust tight).
IP Second numeral - Protection from moisture/liquids
- IPX0 - No protection.
- IPX1 - Protection from vertically dripping water
- IPX2 - Protection from sprays/dripping of water up to 15o from vertical.
- IPX3 - Protection from spraying water up to 60o from vertical.
- IPX4 - Protection from spraying water (all directions) - limited ingress OK provided no hazard.
- IPX5 - Protection from low pressure jets of water (all directions) - limited ingress OK provided no hazard.
- IPX6 - Protection against powerful jets of water, limited ingress OK provided no hazard
- IPX7 - Protection from temporary immersion
- IPX8 - Protection from continuous immersion