Australia's #1 industrial directory for equipment & suppliers

Out of cranes, access equipment grows

Supplier: Genie Australia
20 February, 2013

It is often stated that every customer who has the need for a crane, also has a requirement for access equipment.

The long established and highly respected crane hire business, Botany Cranes, saw the link between cranes and access equipment, so made moves to serve both segments.

Botany Access was formed within the structure of Botany Cranes, but in 2002 with a fleet of about 20 machines, the access equipment group was formed in its own right and relocated to its own premises nearby in Botany.

Today, Botany Access is a thriving, vibrant company servicing the Sydney metropolitan and regional NSW markets with a fleet of over 300 machines. And with Botany Cranes enjoying an affinity with Terex and Franna cranes, the reliance upon Genie in the access area has been a natural evolution.

"Since we established Botany Access as an autonomous business unit, we have powered ahead and grown significantly," said Justin Brownbill.

"We are still linked to Botany Cranes and both companies enjoy many benefits such as group purchasing and a crossover of customers. Being independent means that we are totally focused on access hire and 100 per cent accountable for our performance."

"We see ourselves as a mid-sized access company with 35 per cent of our fleet being scissor lifts 19' to 53' and the remaining 65 per cent being booms 30' to 135' of all descriptions. The average age of our fleet is four to five years."

With 300 machines and a staff of twenty, Botany Access retains as much work as possible inhouse. There are six technicians in the workshop meaning that there is no dependence on outside contractors.

The market serviced by Botany Access is very broad with no single customer accounting for more than 3 per cent of company turnover. There are no boundaries as equipment can be shifted to the location required by the customer. Developing their own transport fleet is rated as one of the company's better decisions as Botany Access has total control over delivery and fleet movements.

Justin Brownbill rates the EWP market as challenging.

"Our key objective is to maintain momentum and keep growing the fleet. We refuse to expand into areas outside of our comfort zone and remain focused on supporting our loyal customer base."

Botany Access continuously grows its fleet with the recent acquisition of a third Genie® GS™-5390 RT scissor lift. Justin Brownbill always likes to buy bigger, so in the case of the 5390 he can supply this to customers who need a 43' lift, and is able to supply a bigger machine at a competitive rate.

"We are very happy with Genie," said Justin. "The brand is first rate and the service support is exceptional. Quality comes at a small cost premium which we are prepared to pay, as our customers appreciate the benefit of hiring quality equipment."