BMASS Power Savers are energy saving, micro-processor controlled units that manage and reduce lighting power, and improve lighting efficiency.
Effectively, Power Saver units significantly reduce lamp power, with no visible reduction in lamp brightness.They operate by reducing the voltage supply for the lamp load.
This reduces the supply current without greatly affecting lamp voltage because of the presence of ballasts in fluorescent lamps.
Power Saver units can be used with existing T8/T12 fluorescent lamps and magnetic ballasts, or with the new high-performance (low loss) B1 and B2 magnetic ballasts, with electronic starters, to provide better longevity and lower installation costs than T5 lamps with electronic ballasts.
BMASS states that Power Saver units extend the life of all fluorescent tubes in the circuit, and can effectively reduce:
- Energy consumption (up to 30%) and greenhouse gas emissions (approx 0.1 tonne of CO2 per annum/per each tube- based on a 24 hour lit building in QLD).
- Lighting costs (up to 30%)
- Peak electricity demand,
Indirectly reduce air conditioning use (by reducing heat emitted from fluorescent lamps)
A single unit is capable of managing multiple lighting circuits, and they can be easily integrated into existing building management systems.
BMASS Power Saver is likely to contribute to the achievement of Green Star™ credit points.
Issues of Concern/ Red Lights?
- EMR- The BMASS Power Saver system would result in a reduction in Electro Magnetic Variation (EMR).
- Reduced voltage supply required for lighting in buildings reduces EMR of existing high EMR ballasts. However, no verified data is currently available to quantify this reduction.
- Copper, used in magnetic ballasts and transformers, has a high embodied energy and involves a highly damaging mining process.
- However, due to it’s value, it is highly recycled, which is significant when considering the hazardous nature of electronic ballasts and their disposure to landfill.
- Unmodified conventional lighting circuits with magnetic ballast fluorescent lighting
- VIC, TAS, SA, QLD, NT, NSW, ACT, WA
To Know More about Power Saver Units Please click here