The layout of the building should be based on a complete analysis of the flow of the work process and all the necessary movements of people, loads, material and equipment of different types, shapes and weights.
The Three 'A's
Objectives: To operate the warehouse in a sufficiently nimble fashion, to be able to respond to sudden changes in demand, and to have the capability of handling predictable disruptions according to a prearranged plan.
- Create a plan to ramp up to meet a sudden 30% increase in volume.
- Do the same for an unexpected 30% decrease in volume.Create contingency plans to deal with a variety of disasters.
- Create a crisis management team with procedures and readiness drills.
Objectives: To create long-range capabilities to meet market shifts, management changes, and technological developments
- Insure that no single customer represents over 30% of warehouse capacity or revenue.
- Create a succession plan for every management position.
- Create a research and experimental team to test new concepts and methods.
- Perform annual management reviews of emerging technology.
- Measure and evaluate the needs of your customer's customer.