In May 2016, SafeWork Australia released its 2013/14 Report, a summary of the findings of which appears below:
1. There were 105,565 serious claims - 5.9/million hours worked (/mhrs).
2. There has been a 31% decline in serious claims over 13 years to 2012/13.
3. The male rate was 6.3/mhrs and the female rate 5.3/mhrs
4. Occupation-wise Labourers had the highest rate (16.8/mhrs) & Community & Personal Service workers the second highest (12.3/mhrs)
5. The highest industry rate was Transport, Postal & Warehousing (9.3/mhrs) and Health Care & Social Assistance was the second highest (8.7mhrs)
6. 90% of serious claims were caused by Injuries & Musculoskeletal Disorders.
7. 33% of serious claims were the result of muscular stress while lifting heavy objects.
8. The typical time off work with a serious injury was 5.4 weeks.
9. There has been a 71% increase in the median payment for a serious claim since 2000/01.
10. Workers’ backs were the most commonly affected area (22%), hands & thumbs accounted for 13%, shoulders 11% and knees 10%.
WheelieSafe P/L Bin Handling Trolleys are designed to minimise WH&S injuries in the handling of wheelie bins