The 'best' couplings is a tailor-made coupling, to enable the joining of pipes in a vertical shaft, which offers many advantages of which few are listed below.
- occupies small shaft space.
- individual support of each pipe in the shaft.
- the coupling is a natural expansion joint.
- low cost compare with flanges.
- integrates the pipe support into the coupling structure.
- no bolting or welding is required for the pipe joining.
- quick and easy handling of pipes in the shaft.
- seals are not affected by water hammer occurrence.
- N.G.D valves is the designer and the manufacturer of the 'BEST' pipe couplings.
- the mechanical design was verified by A.T.D, utilising final element analysis method.
- the testing procedure complies with: -
- ASTM, BPV section VIII and ASME/ASTM B31.3
- Anglo-American Technical Department (ATD)
- pipe ends are machined for thick wall pipes.
- pipe ends are pre-machined and welded to the pipes for thin wall pipes.
- pipes are coated after machining of the pipe ends.
- the pipe's wall thickness complies with manufacturing tolerances for pipes.
- the pipes lifting lugs are welded to the pipes and the mechanical strength is sufficient to lift the pipes.
- plastic covers protect the pipe ends during transport and installation.
- the location of the pipe lifting lugs, are designed to enable easy installation or removal of pipes in the shaft.
- pipe ends will be checked by N.G.D supervisor, prior to the installation.
- vertical misalignment : ±20mm
- horizontal misalignment (9.0m pipes) : ±50mm
- angular misalignment : 0.5
Material of Construction
- Coupling : EN-8 or BS3100 grade ‘A2’
- Bolts : Stainless Steel
- Coating : 50μ epoxy on 30μ base zinc
- Seals : Polyurethane/Rubber
- Eye-bolts : Grade 8.8 galvanised
For more information on Vertical Shaft Pipe Coupling - Hydrocore Thercom, please click here.