Two designs were developed, a stainless steel /bronze model for underground coal mines and a lighter marine grade aluminium version for non-flameproof applications. They both have the following features:
- The new bronze coupler weighs less than 15kg, while the aluminium version weighs only 9.9kg;
- Two handles are provided to more safely handle the coupler;
- The couplers can safely deliver a continuous current of 800 amps, compared with the older versions that only used 150 to 425 amps;
- Modern termination kits mean the couplers are fully re-usable and do not have to be compound filled;
- Sockets are beryllium copper lamella designs instead of old split sockets for low heat rise and ease of insertion;
- No soldering or connection crimping is needed, so assembly can be achieved with a knife and Allen keys; and
- The couplers are waterproof to IP68, which means they can be fully submerged in water.