Our aluminium modular systems scaffold is being used in recent refurbishments done to Ayers House.
Ayers House is considered to be one of the finest examples of Colonial Regency architecture in Australia and remains the largest and best preserved of the houses designed by George Strickland Kingston.
It is believed that the story begun in 1845 when Robert Thornber, gentleman, built a small cottage on Town Acre No. 30, which he then sold to William Paxton. In 1855 Paxton sailed for England and let the house to Henry Ayers. Paxton never returned to South Australia and in 1871 Henry Ayers finally purchased the property for 400 pounds.
Henry Ayers had gradually enlarged the house in stages, beginning in 1858 with the addition of library (still named the Library), bedrooms (now the Henry Ayers Room) and a ballroom (still named as the Ballroom) which was completed in 1860. In 1862 the ballroom was exquisitely decorated with intricate designs in gold leaf, while chandeliers were hung from two ornate ceiling roses. The Ballroom is completely restored to its former glory.
Henry Ayers' fortune was founded on the Burra Copper Mines and his political life began in 1857 when he was elected a member of the first Legislative Council. During a 38 year political career, he was premier seven times, cabinet minister 11 times and president of the Legislative Council for 12 years.
His name was the centre of Adelaide's society and political life for 30 years.