Bioplastics | Mater-Bi
Mater-bi conforms to the Australian AS4736-2006 and European EN 13432-2000 requirement for packaging recoverable through composting and biodegradation.
- Film for agricultural mulching
- Carrier bags
- Liners for separate organic waste collection
- Personal care products
- Catering products (cutlery, plates and cups)
- Food packaging
- Pet products
- Expanded packaging products
Mater-Bi is a bioplastic material with similar properties to conventional plastics. Based on natural renewable resources, products made from Mater-Bi retain their properties while in use, then when disposed of into an environment containing bacteria, biodegrade to carbon dioxide, water and organic humus with no polymeric or toxic residue.
The key raw materials are natural starch and biodegradable polyesters. As Mater-Bi biodegrades, carbon dioxide and water evolved are absorbed in growing more corn and other natural ingredients.
A range of Mater-Bi grades is available, suitable for the manufacture of many consumable items.
Characteristics and properties
- A Mater-Bi bag breathes, helping to reduce the weight of the organic waste during storage and transport by up to 50%? Smaller or less trucks are required to transport the waste, less fuel is used and less waste is ultimately to be composted.
- It is biodegradable, recyclable and compostable
- It can be used like conventional plastic materials
- It can be coloured with biodegradable master batches and with natural pigments
- It can be heat laminated to paper, cardboard, cotton and other natural fibres
- It is intrinsically antistatic
- It can be sterilized by gamma rays
- It can be glued with solvents and water-based adhesives
- Film made from Mater-Bi biodegrades rapidly in both commercial and home composting systems. Contact us and we will provide a sample so you can test it yourself.