As a result of vandalism, diesel was left spilling into the waterway.
C.I.Agent Quick Deployment Boom was placed between the irrigation pump wall and the ACT Environmental Company boom material. Approximately 30 to 50 pounds of loose C.I.Agent was applied to an area of 100,000 square feet of sheen. Another 5 pounds of product was applied to several small pockets of diesel trapped by a man-made containment device.
Sheen continued to come from the area around the intake of the pumping station. Diesel had saturated parts of the ground where the hose from the 500 gallon storage tank had been vandalised.
Workers proceeded down the canal approximately ½ mile to the area where most of the product had remained. ACT had a boom in place so the product was contained by the retaining wall of the canal on three sides and their boom on the forth.
All waste was gathered and put into 55 drums: 3 drums of ACT 5" booms, 1 to 2 drums of weeds, debris, approximately 15 gallons of solidified diesel and C.I.Agent materials. A 100 foot C.I.Agent boom was placed to gather any remaining sheen.
- C.I. Agent
- Clean-up Period: 3 hours, 6 man hours
- Materials: 55 pounds of C.I. Agent, (2) 100 ft & (1) 50 ft. Quick Deployment Boom
- Retrieved: approximately 55 gallons, diesel
- Waste: 360 pounds controllable waste
- Product & labour: $1,851.60
- Conventional Method
- Clean-up Period: 54+ man hours
- Materials: absorbant pads, booms & vac truck
- Retrieved: over 12000 gallons of diesel & water
- Waste: 6 tons of waste & debris
- Product & labour: $24,959.00 estimate