Mr. Christopher Leslie Coath JONES, Director, Senior Design Engineer
Qualifications and Awards
- Bachelor of Science (Civil Engineering) 1978. Awarded prize for best design by final year student for Mining conveyor gantry
- Winning team to receive ACRA Award for Excellence on remedial works to Bombowlee Creek Bridge Tumut 2008
- Member of the Institution of Engineers Australia
- Member of Australian Steel Institute
- Chartered Professional Engineer NPER
- Lapsed Member of ACEA
- Former Australian
Areas of Expertise
Dual role of business administration and senior structural engineer for structural and civil engineering projects
Building Design: Over twenty five years experience in light and heavy industrial, commercial, institutional, residential, refurbishment and heritage projects:
- Reinforced and prestressed Concrete Structures
- Structural Steel Structures
- Timber Structures
- Masonry Design
- Shoring and underpinning works
- Precast Concrete Tilt-Up Panels Construction
- Heritage / Refurbishment / Building Maintenance and Structural Reports
- Project Management
- Construction Methods and Systems Design
- Temporary Structures and Transportable Buildings
- Overhead protective structures, fences, scaffolding, shoring and façade retention structures
- Contract Administration: pavement remedial works
ENGINEERING & DESIGN GROUP PTY LIMITED
Responsible for all areas of running consulting engineering firm. Apart from a numerous full range of Residential Projects, a selection of other projects include:
- Road bridge, Tumut, remedial works
- Industrial Pavement, Repair Specification
- Industrial building, Smithfield
- 137-143 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills, 5 storey mixed residential, commercial and retail complex.
- Westfields High School, alterations and additions
- Granville Public School, alterations and additions
- Church of Christ, Mortdale, alterations and additions
- Dorking Road, Cabarita, new amenities building
- Crestwood Public School, sun-shade structures
- Franklins Sign, Blacktown
- Cox Road, North Ryde, hospital admin refurb
- Westfield Liverpool, pedestrian footbridge
- 26 Ridge St, North Sydney, commercial/office bldg fire upgrade
- Structural Reports
An example selection list:
- 35 Karuah Road Turramurra. Article published in "21st Century Houses Downunder" for landmark houses in Australia and New Zealand, published 2010. (Lawyer)
- 7 Florence Street, Cremorne. (Director of Infrastructure Group)
- 112 Anzac Ave, Collaroy (Builder / Developer)
- 52 Lord Street Roseville (Anaesthetist)
- 2/744 Military Road, Mosman (Orthodontist)
- 33 Prince Albert Street, Mosman (CEO of Mining Group)
- 24 Lodge Road, Cremorne (CEO, Broadcasting)
- 1 Walworth Crescent, Newport (Doctor)
- 31 Dalton Road, Mosman
- 3 Collins Street, Rozelle
- 20 Louisa Road Birchgrove
- 66 Reynolds Street, Balmain
- 52b Cliff Road, Northwood
- 10 Garland St, Naremburn
CULLEN GRUMMITT & ROE
State Manager (NSW)
Responsible for managing business and all consulting engineering work undertaken by Cullen Grummitt & Roe in the fields of Civil, Structural, Mining and Ports/Harbours
Selection of recent design projects:
- 83 Lilyfield Road, 3 and 4 storey set of 12 townhouses/ workshops using tilt-up wall and precast floor system.
- 5 Storey Residential/Commercial Building, Bondi. Fast track Tilt Wall and Bondek slab construction.
- 6 Reaghs Farm Rd, Minto. 30m Span factory building.
- Botany Road Sydney, 8 storey commercial building.
- 23 Howard St, Dee Why. 8 Storey Apartment/Commercial Building.
- Luxury apartments, Bellevue Hill.
- Superintendent's representative for remedial works to port pavement at White Bay and Port Botany.
- National Pacific Inter-modal Freight Facility, Chullora. Co-ordinated information for preparation of specification for extension to inter-modal freight handling facility
CITY OF SYDNEY
Specialist Structural Engineer
All Structural and Geotechnical matters within the City of Sydney are referred to the Specialist Structural Engineer for assessment. Activities include:
- Random part audits on certified designs of multi-storey city buildings and wharf buildings, for new or alterations to existing;
- Managed the consequences of defective certification in the interests of public safety;
- Prepared Guidelines for Temporary Protective Structures (Hoardings,
- Fences, Scaffolding, Shoring and Façade Retention);
- Drafted Policy for Earthquake Mitigation;
- Developed Procedures for Structural and Geotechnical Engineering including certification;
- Researched corrosion of exposed metal fixings; and prepared design criteria for the City of Sydney.
- Prepared Statements of Evidence for the Land and Environment Court;
- Gave evidence in Supreme Court NSW;
- Liaised with Institution of Engineers Australia, Standards Australia, Universities, Department of Urban Affairs and Planning, Department of Local Government; WorkCover Authority, Consulting Engineers, Architects, Builders, Developers, City of Sydney Officers including Building Surveyors, Town Planners, Legal (Internal and External);
- Participated on committees, including George Patterson Fire Make Safe
- Programme; WorkCover Authority committee for Overhead Protective Structures;
- Managed the Structural Silicone Glazing Monitoring Programme
COATH JONES P/L
Director - Research and Business Development.
Researched and prepared feasibility study for use of lightweight construction in multi-storey residential buildings, with significant input from research departments of BHP, CSR and CSIRO.
During this time also worked part time as Marketing Manager with Monkel Pty Limited, rectification builders and waterproofing specialists. One of projects involved repairs to the underside of cracked precast concrete panels at wharf 5 Millers Point / Darling Harbour.
JOHN CONNELL GROUP P/L
Senior Structural Engineer
Managed a team of two engineers and six draftspersons:
- 14 storey post tensioned Office Tower, Perth
- Various steel framed commercial projects
McBEAN & CRISP Civil & Structural Engineers
The company consisted of approximately 20 persons, with two Directors one Associate Director. Responsible for design and supervision in areas of reinforced and pre-stressed concrete, structural steel, cable stayed structures, timber, masonry in a variety of projects including heavy and light industrial, commercial, institutional, heritage and residential.
Some projects include:
- 3 Storey Flour Mill, Silo Bases and Associated Office Buildings in earthquake prone part of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands
- 12 Storey Building Haymarket Sydney; featuring free-standing stair and spaceframe
- Downing Centre, Sydney. Major Refurbishment, Mark Foys Shopping Centre conversion to Downing Centre Law Courts ($85mil)
- Central Coast Leagues Club. Major refurbishment
- New Church, Belconnen, ACT
- Belleview Hill Luxury apartments, Sydney
- 7 storey commercial building, South Sydney
- Freshwater Surf Life Saving Clubhouse, with pile footings designed for future erosion and wave action loadings.
McBEAN & CRISP Civil & Structural Engineers
Civil & Structural Engineer
Representative sample of projects completed include:
- Stanhope Gardens residential development
- Central Law Courts, Sydney. Major refurbishment
- Restoration of heritage and other buildings including Hyde Park Barracks; Specification for the repair of the Sydney Observatory including copper domes and associated shutters
- Multiple Sclerosis Hospital, Lidcombe
- 3 Storey commercial building, Kempsey
- Caroma Industries, Material storage bins
- Contract Management of spalling render and concrete repairs to residential buildings eg Ranelagh (Edgecliff) and Ridge Street (North Sydney)
- Taronga Zoo, Cable stayed structure
- Holsworthy High School
- Mary McKillop High School, Lane Cove
- Civil Works, Stanhope Gardens Residential
- Post-tensioned ground slab (without joints) for large publishing facility
Civil & Structural Engineer
- Drainage for Refinery (Stages 2, 3 and 4) at Secunda, South Africa.
- Underground tunnels at Dunswart Steelworks. Design and drafting services.