Since 1984 GICOM, a Dutch based company, has designed and realised computer controlled growing cells' and 'tunnel composting facilities' for both the mushroom growing and waste processing industries.
Tunnel composting facilities are used to:
- Compost different organic waste streams (biowaste, MSW, sewerage sludge, industrial sludge, manure, digested residue etc.) into high quality compost;
- Produce different types of mushroom compost: phase 1,2 and 3.
The above mentioned 'GICOM products' are built upon 3 different technology fields:
- Measurement and control devices
- Biotechnological process control
- Air handling systems
The necessary soft and hardware systems have been developed and produced within the GICOM organisation. Brentwood / GICOM are able to realise projects on a turn-key basis, providing professional design and planning services and incorporating construction and management teams during construction on site.
As an innovative company GICOM owns and operate several pilot plants to maintain its position as provider of state of the art tunnel composting technology. Current and future customers can use the GICOM after sales service: a 24-hours-a-day service department able to answer questions and to solve problems.
GICOM composting systems is a company operating all over the world - from Europe to Australia and from America to Asia.
385 facilities of experience
Since 1984 GICOM has designed and constructed tunnel composting facilities to convert organic materials into quality compost products. More than 385 GICOM facilities are in operation all over the world, with a total processing capacity of over 2.750.000 tons/year. About 80% of the facilities are operating in the mushroom market and 20% in the waste management market, where facilities for treating the following materials have been realised:
- Biowaste / Greenwaste
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
- Sewerage sludge
- Industrial sludge
- Contaminated soil
- Anaerobic digestion process residue
- The GICOM system can be adapted to the capacity needed:
- Fixed Concrete Tunnel System for capacities over 10.000 tonnes/annum
Developed to your needs
Each Brentwood / GICOM compost facility design is developed individually to suit the needs of a particular client. Considerations include waste stream quantity and quality, compost quality required, and economic considerations.
Brentwood / GICOM can provide the client with a full range of options, including the following:
- simple or complex processing
- (semi) automatic waste processing
- (semi) automatic un/loading of the tunnels
- open/closed biofilters
- co-composting of different waste streams
- ability to manage different quality waste streams separately
- re-use of process energy
Advantages of the tunnel composting system
- Excellent process control
- Decreased detention time to produce nature compost (stability IV-V) : 14-21 days
- Flexibility towards input material – organic waste, sewage sludge, manure etc.
- Flexibility towards end product (different kinds of compost can be produced)
- Sophisticated odour control
- No devices in the process room: no corrosion
- Working environment: meeting new (European) regulations
- Automatic process handling
- No waste water effluent
- Fully enclosed active processing
- Worldwide experience with 385 full scale plants
- Re-use of process energy
- Price competitive for both investments and operational costs