This oil containment boom is an impervious (non-absorbent) floating, fence-like boom used to contain oil spills on the water’s surface. Our fence booms are lightweight, compact and ideal for emergency response to contain spills in calm or sheltered waters, such as harbours, rivers and ponds.
Spill type: Ideal emergency response containment boom for rapid deployment in harbours and marinas and where water conditions are rough and changeable.
Our containment is easy to handle, store and deploy with storage bags, cages or reels also available.
- Lightweight, compact, easy to handle, impervious (non absorbent) oil containment boom.
Very cost-effective boom delivering excellent performance.
- Booms have closed-cell foam buoyancy chamber and ballast chain to hold part of the fence underwater with approximately 40% of the boom above water level. This makes the oil containment boom less prone to sinking.
- The fence boom is easy to store and deploy, taking up minimal storage space due to its ability to fold back on itself (concertina).
- Excellent boom for emergency spill response trailers.
- Easy to clean.
- Fence booms are affected by winds over 20 knots and strong currents, therefore only ideal for calmer, more sheltered waters.
- Special extruded aluminium end connectors (ASTM) allow multiple sections to be joined together easily.
How does a fence oil containment boom work?
Fence booms are floating fence-like structures with foam buoyancy and a base weight to hold part of the fence under water. They are generally flat in construction making them easy to deploy, retrieve and store. This type of oil containment boom is good for calm and sheltered waters.
Notes about oil containment booms:
Floating booms or impervious barriers that trap oil on the water’s surface are universally called oil containment booms. They are generally manufactured from PVC or urethane material and are able to withstand the harsh conditions and elements typically found at an oil spill. Oil containment booms typically consist of the following elements:
- Freeboard – the part of the boom above the water’s surface. Designed to deflect or contain an oil spill.
- Skirt – the impervious barrier below the water’s surface. Skirt depth varies according to boom type.
- Ballast – located at the bottom of the skirt and keeps the boom upright in the water.
- Connectors – allow multiple boom lengths to be joined together to form one long continuous barrier.
Our range of Containment Fence Booms features three distinct styles;
- GS330 Fence Boom - 650 gsm PVC, Dimensions: 1500 cm x 33 cm, Weight: 22.5 kg
- DFENCE Fence Boom - 900 gsm PVC, Dimensions: 1500 cm x 60 cm, Weight: 37 kg
- DFENCE-U Fence Boom - Urethane, Dimensions: 1500 cm x 60 cm or 1500 cm x 79 cm
Australian Made and Owned