Discharge Lamps, High Pressure Sodium Lamps
High pressure, single ended sodium vapour lamps consist of a sintered aluminium oxide discharge tube containing sodium mercury amalgam and xenon, which is used as a starting gas. The discharge tube is encased in a hard glass outer bulb with a standard screw base.
Out of all the discharge technologies, sodium vapour lamps offer the highest luminous efficacy and cost efficiency and are ideally suited for applications requiring continuous lighting for long periods of time.
Features of High Pressure Sodium Lamps
- Hard glass outer envelope
- Standard screw base
- High pressure (complies with safety requirements of IEC 62035)
- High lumen maintenance
- High lumen efficacy (up to 150 lm/W)
- Colour temperature of 2000K
- For commercial and industrial applications where a long lasting and cost effective light source is required with high luminous efficacy
- Commonly used in street lighting, sports lighting and floodlighting of urban areas
- Suitable for use indoors and in enclosed exterior fittings
- Sodium lamps require chokes with thermal cutout and some require an external ignitor