Make light work of dc current measurement
ABB's FOCS is a family of high accuracy fiber-optic current sensors developed for measuring high dc currents. The easy and flexible use characterizes this technical innovation.
Based on the magneto-optic effect (Faraday effect) in a single-ended optical fiber around the current conductor, the FOCS can measure uni- or bidirectional dc currents up to 500 kA with an accuracy of 0.1 % of the measured value.
Features of Fiber-Optic Current Sensors:
- Compact design for fast and easy assembly, installation and transport
- Immune to electromagnetic interferences due to optical measurement and therefore no need of magnetic centering, busbar studies or subject to saturation effects which reduce the accuracy
- High accuracy of 0.1 % of the measured value for precise plant efficiency calculation
- No special building structure for the protection and housing of the sensor
- Optical current measurement for galvanic isolation of the system and low power consumption