Please refer to OHS Regulation 2001, to note the first aid room minimum requirements for certain types of workplaces.
Furniture and fittings:
- Wash basin with hot and cold water supplies.
- Cupboards for storage of medical requirements, dressings and linen.
- Desk, work bench or dressing trolley.
- Electric power points.
- Lockable filing cabinet for storage of records.
- Suitable seating.
- Couch (waterproof surface) with blankets and pillows.
- Moveable screen, suspended curtain, or a door that can close for privacy needs.
- Examination table.
- Examination lamp.
- Stretcher, lifting frame or similar device for transporting patients.
- A suitable container for safe disposal of needles or other sharp implements.
- A suitable container fitted with disposable bag or liner for soiled dressings and gloves.
- First aid kit appropriate to the workplace.
- Sufficient supply of soap and disposable towels, trays, gloves and bowls.
- Details of the first aid plan.
- Names and contact numbers for first aiders, and external emergency organisations (e.g. 000, hospitals, Poisons Information Centre, local medical service).
- Current edition of an occupational first aid handbook approved by WorkCover
Additional items or equipment may also be required, depending on the outcomes of the first aid assessment.