Spring chores for your greenhouse
With spring on our door step greenhouse growers need to look at reducing heat levels and still maximise light levels to reduce stress on your crop. You also need to ensure that your greenhouse covering is in good shape for the spring winds and that your ventilation system is working well.
To ensure that your greenhouse film is still in good condition you need to carry out test on the plastic to see whether it is still in good working order:
1. Along the Lockstrip on the gutter push your finger into the plastic so that it dints the plastic and then release your finger and see wether the plastic returns to its original shape, if it doesn’t then the plastic is at the final stages of its life and needs replacing before you loose it in a storm
2. Check your light levels to insure that your plants have enough light, some woven plastic’s have been breaking down on the outside surface and collect and lot of dust that reduces the light levels dramatically, some plastic coverings loose there ability to transfer light as they get old, so you need to check light levels on a regular basis.
3. There are five main ways of reducing heat in your greenhouse:
- Spray your greenhouse roof and walls with chalking or white wash, you can now get white wash, which you spray a catalyst on when you want to remove, this reduces labour cost of re-applying after every rain.
- Thermal screens serve several purposes; they reduce heat and light levels in warmer months and work in conjunction with roof ventilators to control humidity. Thermal screens also pay for them self in less than 18 months by reducing heating costs.
- Fogging is also very good in reducing heat by increasing humidity.
- Circulation fans with fogging units attached to them are also very effective in reducing heat and raising humidity.
- Pad and fan system are also a very effective method of lowering heat. You need to check out the energy usage of this system as some can be very costly to run and if nearby residential areas, they can be very noisy.
4. You need to check the bolts and tek screws haven’t broken and the ventilators are in good working order as these parts take a lot of stress in the spring storms
To Know More about Greenhouse Please click here