Modern electrical equipment imposes stringent demands on voltage stability and power quality. The power network has to be free from harmonics and other electrical disturbances.
Benefits of Harmonic Filter CHARM:
- Higher power factor, improved voltage stability and network losses
- Filtering of harmonics in the system
- Avoidance of resonance problems and amplification of electrical disturbances.
A “clean” network also imposes much less strain on equipment and lengthens its life span. This means lower maintenance cost and lower cost for replacing worn-out equipment.
Thorough know-how and experience is required to design harmonic filters properly. Each plant is unique and needs its own special technical solution. Both system and component know-how are essential to find the optimum solution in each individual case.
An important component in the filter is the capacitor. Since it copes with the whole harmonic content, it must be designed with the greatest care.
Types of Harmonic Filter CHARM :
- The band-pass filter is tuned to one frequency.
- The double-tuned filter is tuned to two frequencies.
- The high-pass filter filters frequencies above the tuning frequency. In certain cases a high-pass filter can be installed as a C-type filter, which is used when compensating arc furnaces or cyclo converters.
A filter installation normally consists of 1 - 3 band-pass filters that filter one frequency each. Combinations with high-pass filters, which is open to higher frequencies, can also be applied.