Use of Hawk "ORCA" Sonar Bed/Hindered Level Transmitter to Maximize the Efficiency and Performance of Coal Preparation Plant Tailings Thickeners.
Using the ORCA Sonar bed level transmitter to optimize Coal Tailings Thickeners by controlling both the compact bed level and the hindered/interface layer to maximize efficiency and performance.
By monitoring the two independent interface densities we are able to provide reliable process feedback for:
1. Control of the underflow pump to optimize the bed density
2. Control of the flocculent and coagulant dosing systems if the Clarometer fails
The first process that should be automated on the tailings thickener is the discharge rate of the thickener underflow/tailings disposal pump system to maintain the dense slurry compact bed at the optimum level in the thickener.
By cascading the thickener bed level into the underflow/tailings disposal PID density control loop the feed to the underflow pumps will be of consistent density (as per thickener design) therefore minimizing unnecessary pumping of water to and from the tailings dam.
To also minimize unnecessary pumping of water to and from the tailings dam:
1. The thickener underflow/tailings disposal system should only be initiated on plant start up and after the correct bed level has been established
2. The compact dense bed should only be pumped out of the thickener when the plant is going to be idle for and extended time period.
Note: It maybe necessary to purge the tailings lines using injection water on a thickener shutdown.
A) Control of tailings disposal pump speed and water injection using cascaded density and thickener bed level.
1. Analogue output 1, from the ORCA Sonar controlling the heavy density compact bed interface.
2. The compact bed level output is also used as the datum in conjunction with the hindered/interface layer for providing additional process feedback for controlling chemical dosing and alarms.
Hawk is a world leader in level, positioning and flow measurement, providing cutting edge equipment to the global industrial market.
We have 30 years of experience and provide industry leading technology and cost effective solutions.
The company`s built factory and headoffice is located in Melbourne Australia. The facility provides for efficient production and research and development activities.
The company produces its own products and has developed an efficient production process.
The company has a distinguished record of success in the application of level, positioning and flow measurement technology, and the provision of expert services which range from the provision of instrumentation and technical assistance, through to implementation and ongoing asset management.
Hawk systematically monitors and evaluates its projects and employs the best practice and quality assurance procedures.
Application examples are addressed by experts of the highest calibre who are selected for their experience and are trained in our factory to assure proper application of the instruments and ultimate customer satisfaction.
We provide extensive training for our worldwide users on a progressive basis so when new products are introduced, training is carried out prior to release to ensure optimum product acceptance and performance.