LMS Virtual.Lab offers an integrated software suite to simulate the performance of mechanical systems in terms of structural integrity, noise and vibration, durability, system dynamics, ride and handling as well as other attributes.
LMS Virtual.Lab covers all the critical process steps and required technologies to perform an end-to-end assessment of a design in each of these key disciplines, long before committing to expensive tooling and physical prototype testing.
Using LMS Virtual.Lab, engineering teams can quickly and effectively analyze a multitude of design options, and drive major design choices from the perspective of key performance attributes. LMS Virtual.Lab is based on CAA V5, the open middleware for PLM from Dassault Systèmes.
Integrating mission-critical applications
LMS Virtual.Lab eliminates much of the non value-added time from the typical engineering process. It is open to the leading CAD systems - CATIA, I-DEAS, UniGraphics and ProENGINEER. It removes the barriers between CAD, CAE and Test.
It allows engineers to re-use models rather than rebuilding them for each application. It integrates the different attribute simulation disciplines, eliminating unnecessary data transfers and translations, and enabling true cross-attribute product optimization. LMS Virtual.Lab is a platform for breakthrough innovation and enables to cut weeks to months out of the development process.
Capturing and automating simulation processes
Not everyone is an expert - and nobody enjoys dull repetitive tasks. LMS Virtual.Lab captures the simulation process, including the model building steps and the analysis scenario.
This enables engineers to quickly and accurately analyze multiple design options for a specific set of performance attributes. It standardizes processes and captures corporate engineering knowledge and expertise.
It supports the automatic assessment of a multitude of design alternatives in search of safer, higher-quality and better performing products. LMS Virtual.Lab is key to manufacturers that want to win with superior products.
Combining the best of Test and Simulation
LMS Virtual.Lab implements a unique hybrid simulation approach – one where test-based models and loads are combined with virtual models and synthesized loads.
Through the combination of Test and Virtual Simulation, LMS Virtual.Lab accelerates the engineering process, and makes it more accurate and robust, as test-based validation is built in.
LMS Virtual.lab allows users to:
- Combine test-based models of existing components with virtualmodels of new components
- Generate accurate load data from virtual simulation and from tests on existing designs
- Improve the accuracy and speed of system-level simulation by using real-world validated loads and validated virtual models.
Creating reliable engineering insights
Over the past decades, CAE has been mainly used for design verifi cation at the component level and ‘outside the- process’, not as a proactive design optimization tool. Extensive modeling time and lack of accuracy have been job stoppers for system-level simulation of key attributes such as durability or noise and vibration.
LMS Virtual.Lab offers system-level simulation capabilities that:
- Easily assemble system-level models for performance simulation, starting from the myriad of available component models – CAD geometries, FE, Multi-body, or Test-based models
- Quickly modify existing system-level models for the assessment of design alternatives
- Trim the assembly for specifi c attribute assessments
- Accurately evaluate full-system performance before prototype testing.
Delivering a balanced performance
Traditional engineering approaches usually focus on a limited set of critical attributes in the early development stages. Vehicle body engineering focuses on crash. Suspension development puts vehicle dynamics first.
The engineering of complex multi-physic attributes, such as vibro-acoustics are mostly dealt with later on, through test-based troubleshooting. LMS Virtual.Lab allows engineering teams to quickly and accurately investigate a design option for all the critical performance attributes, long before prototype testing.
LMS Virtual.Lab delivers:
- Attribute specific refinement technologies for structural integrity and safety, vehicle dynamics, comfort and sound quality, fatigue and durability
- Modeling tools that allow engineers to re-use simulation models for different attributes – saving time and gaining accuracy
- An integrated environment to assess designs on a multitude of critical performance attributes.