Upgrade of existing copper smelter involving replacement of core smelting technology and installation of associated oxygen plant, acid plant, electric holding furnace and services.
“...MIPAC [engineers] have conducted themselves with a professionalism and integrity that would suggest the Mufulira Smelter is their asset.” John Ross, Metallurgical Manager, Smelter & Concentrator, Mopani Copper Mines
- Design, specification, configuration and commissioning of full plant-wide control system for the upgraded smelter. (ISASMELT and waste heat boiler; oxygen plant; sulphuric acid plant; electric furnace; materials handling area; services and utilities)
- Development of plant-wide measurement and control standards for the project and upgraded smelter
- Detailed instrumentation design for the ISASMELT plant and waste heat boiler areas
- Electrical design and procurement specification for associated low voltage motor control centre
- Client training in control system configuration and maintenance.
- Strong focus on simplicity and reliability for maintenance groups
- Transfer of knowledge from multiple technology providers into common control system to provide consistent operations interface
- Fast-tracked project with control system on critical path.
- Reduced project costs through economical project implementation by one group with minimised design group interfaces
- Efficient and cost-effective ongoing control system maintenance due to commonality of equipment and consistency of design
- Minimised project risk
- Cohesive approach to instrument design standards, control system design and configuration.