- Major new features include a lock up torque converter matched to a six-speed automatic transmission on some models, upgraded seat-mounted servo precision control and improvements to the hydraulic ‘Powerslide’ side shift feature.
- Local Government authorities and civil contractors were among the first to recognise the time-saving advantages of the ‘Powerslide’ concept, due to the machine’s ability to side shift without the need to place the bucket on the ground. It has since become a popular productivity feature in all sectors of the market.
- However, it is JCB’s introduction of a lock up converter matched with a six-speed automatic transmission that now has the market taking notice.
- Industry criticism of backhoes revolved around their low road speed - more noticeable when travelling from job to job, particularly uphill, - and their inability to maintain speed at suitable levels.
- JCB has now addressed this by introducing a close spaced automatic transmission and a lock up function on the torque converter, which, when engaged, offers a direct drive that reduces transmission losses. Fuel consumption is reduced by up to 25%, while machine travel times are improved by up to 15%.
- Field tests demonstrate there is no competitive machine that can keep up with JCB machines on the road - meaning they get to the job sooner than those of our competitors.
- The latest JCB backhoes now offer operators unprecedented functionality due to an exclusive in-seat servo pilot hydraulic control. An industry first, this feature enables operators to have complete control of the backhoe function through 180 degrees. Working at 90 degrees no longer requires the same degree of neck twisting to view the work zone.
- Another major bonus is that the new JCB-built 4.4 litre engine produces more horsepower, and 30% more torque at 100 RPM less, than the engines previously used. Developed jointly with motor racing engine experts, Cosworth, JCB engines feature refinements including four valves per cylinder head; rear mounted timing gears for reduced noise and vibration; superb ancillary access and an exceptionally strong engine bedplate.