Norske Skog, Australia’s largest newsprint producer, commissioned MIPAC to initiate an automation upgrade project to provide a new plant-wide control system and integrated automation platform.
"The team at MIPAC is first class. Their attention to detail, thorough planning and process knowledge reduced the risks on a very complex project. MIPAC made a great contribution to the platform for success of the recent automation upgrade of Norske Skog’s Albury plant, delivering a high-quality result on schedule." Guy Mycroft, Mill Manager, Norske Skog Albury.
The project was designed to consolidate control system types and replace obsolete systems to facilitate central control of the plant.
Our goals were to:
- provide plant operators with a single user interface to the control system
- replace ageing and/or unsupported control system hardware
- improve control strategies and alarm management.
Norske Skog appointed MIPAC to manage the design, implementation and commissioning of the new control system. MIPAC managed a phased upgrade of the automation systems for the whole mill which included more than 15,000 inputs and outputs (I/O). This included the paper machine, steam plant, water treatment and TMP pulp mill. Our scope included:
- Assisting Norske Skog in the selection of the new control system
- Management of project design, commissioning and implementation
- Development of specifications and standards for electrical, instrumentation and control scope
- Detailed design for electrical, instrument and control requirements in all plant areas
- Application programming for the water treatment plant, steam plant and paper machine (stock preparation and broke systems).
The project involved replacing the existing control system which consisted of Honeywell TDC 2000, TDC 3000, Siemens Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and relay logic.
Plant operators now have a single user interface, with improved control strategies and alarm management. This will increase productivity and, ultimately, profitability.
Click here to download project profile.