PAT (portable appliance tester)
- insulation resistance test
- earth resistance test
- earth leakage test
- two analogue meters plus polarity LED allows all 3 tests to be performed instantaneously and simultaneously
- external test leads allow it to work just like a standard megger
- all tests are done independently and concurrently giving a real time result
- external test leads allow testing of non-standard equipment; there are no patch leads
- the results are on an analogue scale, not just a ‘pass' or ‘fail'
- it is battery operated and re-chargeable
- it is not necessary to tell the tester what class of appliance it is testing
- it is instantaneous and does not waste time powering up
- no patch leads needed
- if an appliance cannot plug into the tester, just use the external lead
- no need to interpret the meter readings; they are clearly marked 'pass' or 'fail'
- internal protection shuts the tester off when the battery gets too low