Pipeline Coatings | Dirax
- Used in directional drilling applications.
- Construction: Three-layer system:
- First layer: Liquid epoxy, solvent-free two-component.
- Second layer: High shear strength copolymer adhesive.
- Third layer: Thick, fibreglass reinforced, radiation cross-linked polyethylene.
- Additional component: Wear Cone as extra protection against pull-through forces, of the same construction as the main sleeve.
The Dirax system is a wrap-around heat-shrinkable sleeve reinforced with fibreglass.DIRAX is designed to protect girth welds against corrosion and is the optimum joint protection for PE and FBE coated pipes used in directional drilling applications. The reinforcement gives the backing greater wear resistance.
During installation, the epoxy is applied to the prepared pipe surface and the heat-shrinkable sleeve is immediately wrapped around the joint over the wet epoxy.
Heat is then applied to the sleeve, which shrinks to form a tight fit around the joint. While curing, the epoxy forms strong mechanical and chemical bonds to the pipe surface & to the copolymer adhesive layer. The radiation cross-linked outer layer forms a tough barrier against mechanical damage and moisture transmission. A wear cone is then applied over the leading edge of the sleeve.
Features & Benefits of Dirax
- Highly resistant to shear and peel forces induced by soil and thermal movements
- The DIRAX is tough!
- Dirax offers abrasion and wear resistance at pull-through comparable to mill coatings
- Provides a monolithic coating system.
- Wear cone protects leading edge of sleeve against pull-through forces
- Provides additional strength and security---increases reliability.
- Sleeve applied over wet epoxy---there are no curing or waiting times / formation of strong mechanical & chemical bonds
- Allows fast application---saves time!
- Ensures high performance!
- Superior cathodic disbondment and hot water immersion resistance
- Offers the optimum barrier protection against corrosion.
- Pre-attached closure patch
- Allows fast and easy application.
- Low preheat requirements
- Makes installation faster and saves time.
Dirax selection guide
- Max operating temperature 60°C (140°F)
- Compatible line coatings PE, FBE
- Min preheat temperature 70°C (158°F)
- Recommended pipe SA 2½
- Soil stress restrictions None
- Performance EN 12068 Class C60