Do you need a basic knowledge about rail points (or switches), rail crossings, derail points or point machines?
This course explores the functions and types of these important pieces of track infrastructure in an easy-to-understand format aided by lots of instructional diagrams and animations. This course will help you to easily grasp the technology behind this equipment which is critical to safe rail operations.
About this course
This course is a basic course which means it develops knowledge about railway points, crossings, derail points and point machines, their components and their operation ¡X all to a basic level.
Who should do this course?
This course is suitable for anyone employed in the rail industry in a technical or nontechnical role. This course is a pre-requisite to some advanced courses including the Advanced Rail Points course.
What is in this course?
- Rail points
- Rail crossings
- Points mechanisms
- Points machines
- Locking devices
- Derail points
At the conclusion of this course you should be able to:
- Identify rail point components
- Describe the basic operation of point mechanisms
- Determine the position and Hand of a set of points
- Identify different types of crossings
- Explain the purpose of points controllers
- Describe the reasons and the process for derailing trains
What is the duration of the course?
- This course should take at least 4 hours, especially if all web links are researched.
How much does the course cost?
- Refer to web site for current offers.
A level of knowledge of all signalling systems is critical to understand how rail points integrate with them. Unless participants have other training or experience, we suggest they first complete the Introduction to Signalling Systems course before attempting this.
Are external activities required?
- Apart from a number of links to external web support materials, there are no extra requirements.
How will the participant be assessed?
- Participants will have progressive tests imbedded into the learning material and a final test at the end.
What is the outcome of the assessment?
- Participants that complete all course activities and the assessments will receive a Certificate of Achievement.