Rail Industry Training Basic Courses | Basic Track Circuits
Track circuits, axle counters and associated equipment are a vital part of modern signalling systems. The systems are utilised in automatic signalling systems and interlockings to help control safe train movements. This course explores the various types of modern track circuits and explains their construction and operation.
About this course
This course is a basic course which means it develops knowledge about railway track circuits, track circuit controls, rail joints and associated equipment ¡X all to a basic level.
Who should do this course?
This course is suitable for anyone employed in the rail industry in a technical or nontechnical role. This course is a pre-requisite to some advanced courses including the Advanced Track Circuits course.
What is in this course?
- DC track circuit
- AC Vane Relay track circuit
- Audio frequency track circuits
- High voltage impulse track circuit
- Coded track circuits
- Use in mimic panels and auto signalling
- Track circuit controls
- Axle counters
- Insulated rail joints
- Impedance bonds
At the conclusion of this course you should be able to:
- Explain the requirement of the modern signalling and control systems
- Define track circuit features
- Recognise various traction supplies and different types of track circuits
- Identify different track joints
- Name components and describe the operation of a railway electric traction supply
What is the duration of the course?
- This course should take at least 4 hours, especially if all web links are researched.
How much does the course cost?
- Refer to web site for current offers
A level of knowledge of all signalling systems is critical to understand how track circuits integrate with them. Unless participants have other training or experience, we suggest they first complete the Introduction to Signalling Systems course before attempting this.
Other valuable courses would include:
- Basic Rail Points
- Basic Signalling Principles
- Basic Signalling Control Systems
Are external activities required?
- Apart from a number of links to external web support materials, there are no extra requirements
How will the participant be assessed?
- Participants will have progressive tests imbedded into the learning material and a final test at the end.
What is the outcome of the assessment?
- Participants that complete all course activities and the assessments will receive a Certificate of Achievement