Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) offer the height of banking convenience. Financial institutions strive to keep their machines online 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to satisfy customer demand.
Downtime means frustration for customers and potential revenue loss for banks.
A national banking institution wanted to ensure greater uptime and reduce installation costs and monthly telecommunications fees for 650 off-premise ATMs.
These ATMs were located at sites not owned or managed by the bank, such as grocery and convenience stores, gas stations, and sports venues.
Managing installation and securing wire-line facilities in these locations would have been time consuming, inconvenient, and costly.
The Digi TransPort WR21 compact enterprise class cellular router was just the right solution, providing:
- Quick and easy deployment with existing IP infrastructure
- Wireless connections enabled ATMs to be relocated or removed easily
- Flexible interfaces: serial (async/sync), Ethernet and USB
- Secure connections with stateful firewall inspection, integrated VPN and PCI compliance
- High speed cellular interfaces: GSM (EDGE/GPRS/HSPA+) and CDMA (1xRTT
- / EV-DO)
- Remote management software and custom scripting
Secure data transfer is a requirement for mission-critical applications where highly sensitive information is transmitted, such as ATMs.
The Digi TransPort line of upgradeable cellular routers provides data transmission through secure VPN connections supporting the Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) tunnel with AES or Triple DES (3DES).
With optional support for ATM protocols, including SNA and x.25 over IP, along with multiple serial ports (async or sync), the Digi TransPort WR21 makes remote ATM installation easier and safer than ever before.