Design verification and checking of numerous facilities including:
- Design verification, structural detailing through our CadBureau of Schade Stacker / Reclaimers - NewPac (NSW) , Dawson Coal ( Qld) and Lake Lyndsay ( Qld)
- Loy Yang Power Station, design validation of rising conveyors.The rising conveyors to the boilers had been designed by the SECV, and they requested an independent check. This entailed using the latest codes (AS 1250 was the structural code then), and other relevant Codes to obtain a totally independent design check.
- Loy Yang Power Station, design check of rising conveyor foundations.Similar to the rising conveyors, an independent check had to be done for the foundations. The check was totally independent, and a separate set of calculations were done.
- North Parkes Mine, design check of head frame of head frame.In order to comply with the Mines act, and OH & S, an independent check was done to assess the suitability of the proposed head frame for the mine.
- Elura Mine, design check of mining pentice for maintenance work.The mine pentice was a device used to protect workers in the mine below, whilst essential maintenance done to the head frame structure. The local mining requirements, and the relevant design Codes were used for this check.
- Wallerawang Power Station, design check of the structural aspects of the circular stacker reclaimer. The initial design for the circular machine was done for Amec. The client requested a fully independent structural design check to assess if the design complied with the Australian Standards. Some of the Codes used in this check were:
AS 1250- Steel Structures.
AS 4100- Steel Structures – limit state
AS 1418 Crane Code.
AS 1170 ( All parts) Loading Code.
- Bengalla Mine, design check of the main portal for the Kawasaki machine.As for the previous structural check, an independent structural check was requested after the main portal showed some signs of distress. In order to ascertain the overall structural integrity of the machine, this entailed a full design (check) of the structure from the rails up.
The check was also done to ensure compliance and conformance with the specification. A check of the foundations was also done to ensure that the distress was not due to excessive differential movement of the rail foundations.
There was some concern (later proving unfounded), that the rails used (Japanese squat 73 kg/m) were adequate for the purpose, but these were proven satisfactory. Similar Codes to Wallerawang were used but also:
AS 3990 – Mechanical Steelwork.
AS 3600 – Concrete Structures (For the foundations)
Software to achieve design verification, Strand, Microstrand and Strand 7 for FEA
Our Design services department handle civil / structural and Bulk Materials handling engineering projects of all sizes and scales. Please call or email us for more information