A simple method is available using reagent plastic strips, with basic equipment and training.
The Quantab Chloride strip is placed in aqueous solutions, fluid rises up the strip by capillary action. When the strip is completely saturated, a moisture sensitive string across the top of the titrator turns dark blue.
The strip contains silver ions, which combine with chloride in the sample to form a white column of silver chloride. The length of the white column (silver chloride) in the strip is proportional to the chloride ion concentration.
The test ranges from 30 - 600 mg/mL in 10-20 ppm increments, covering most levels of salt in food.
Each lot of Quantab strips is calibrated independently, so that the chart on the bottle where you find the chloride concentration may differ from a previous bottle.
Arrow Scientific was established in 1990 to offer smarter product quality and safety testing tools to:
• ensure quality at all processing stages - raw materials to finished products
• monitor processing steps and conditions
• setting physical or consumer standards for products
• detecting undesirable contaminants such as bacteria or chemicals.
• training staffing best hygiene practise.