Australia's #1 industrial directory for equipment & suppliers

The Project Embankment Bungo Kiyokawa Miemachi

Supplier: Elastoplastic Concrete
19 October, 2009

No other reinforcement was used to stabilise the embankment and the railway line was quickly reopened Mobile batch plant minimising delays to the network.

The Project Embankment Bungo Kiyokawa Miemachi

  • Product used: Barchip M 30mm
  • Customer: Japan Railway Kyushu
  • Contractor: Sanki Construction Company
  • Total Area: 2,000 m2

Introduction

Japan's four major islands, Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu and Shikoku are covered by an extensive and reliable network of railways.

About 70 percent of Japan's railway network is owned and operated by Japan Railways (JR), while the remaining 30 percent belongs to several dozen private railway companies, especially in and around metropolitan areas.

Kyushu is Japan's third largest island, located southwest of the main island Honshu. The embankment in Oita Prefecture in Kyushu, is located over one of Japan Railways main lines.

The embankment became unstable due to long term weathering of the soil and finally in October 2004 because of heavy rains a landslide occurred which led to the closure of the main line.

A solution was required to rehabilitate this embankment quickly and competently.

The works were made more difficult because of the sites isolation and height of over 50 metres.

Both scaling and shotcrete operations had to be carried out from the top of the embankment.

Surface Preparation

Proper preparation of the embankment was essential to ensure that the substrate for the shotcrete bond was good.

This involved the use of a small mechanical excavator to remove rocks and loose earth to leave a relatively clean and competent spray face

Shotcrete

Because of the sites isolation and difficult access shotcrete was batched using a mobile batching plant at the top of the embankment.

Once the surface had been prepared it was sprayed with Barchip reinforced shotcrete dosed at 9.0kg/m3

No other reinforcement was used to stabilise the embankment and the railway line was quickly reopened Mobile batch plant minimising delays to the network.

To Know about The Project Embankment Bungo Kiyokawa Miemachi Please click here