They consist of two different metals joined together, making a continuous circuit. When there is a temperature difference between any two points in the circuit, an electromotive force (voltage) occurs.
There are several types of thermocouples, constructed from various different metals and with differing temperature ranges and accuracies.
The main advantages of thermocouple include:
- High temperature operating range- can be used in applications with temperatures as high as 1700°C
- Versatility- can be formed to fit a particular application
- Durability in high vibration or mechanical shock applications
- Low cost
- Generally smaller than RTDs
Pyrosales supplies a wide range of thermocouples for varying applications, including:
- Mineral Insulated Thermocouples
- Tube and Wire Thermocouples
- Base Metal Thermocouples
- Rare Metal Thermocouples