Home Trusted by 600,000+ buyers

Training & licensing changes - Sept 2009

Supplier: Cobra Training Services
16 June, 2010

From 1 September 2009, major changes were implemented to the way people are trained and licensed for what are now known as 'Licenses to Perform High Risk Work'. (Formerly known as National Certificates of Competency)

This will apply to all national 'High Risk' licenses issued by Workcover NSW (Elevating Work Platforms, Forklifts, Cranes, Dogging, Rigging, Scaffolding etc).

In summary, any person looking to obtain a 'License to Perform High Risk Work' will need to be enrolled in a formally recognised training course, conducted by a Registered Training Organisation, such as Cobra Training Services.

You will need to demonstrate set competencies, and pass several tests, before being eligible for the final licence assessment by a Workcover assessor.

It may be necessary for course participants to gain further skills on the job (under supervision of a licensed operator) before sitting for the license test.

It may be possible to gain credit in the training course for existing skills and experience, via a checkable work history and 'challenge testing'. For more information contact us

Far more emphasis is placed on the methods and length of training and skills required before you are eligible to be tested for a license.

The old logbook system no longer applies. You cannot operate machines or perform high risk work without a license, unless you are enrolled in a training course conducted by a VETAB accredited Registered Training Organisation, such as Cobra Training Services.