Serving mining customer needs underground
Walter's underground mine services have been developed from two decades of listening to and then exceeding mine managers expectations by providing integrated, high quality support for efficient mining operations.
- These services include providing secondary support, specialist shotcreting services, cable bolting to underground roadways and development, civil construction, conveyor installation and maintenance of agreed systems.
Consistently demonstrating our experience premium
- Our experience encompasses mine infrastructure, mine development and underground mine services.
- Our reputation for quality contract delivery is acknowledged by industry partners through renewal and extension of project contracts.
- Examples of large mine projects for which Walter has provided a talent bank of expertise include:
Dendrobium Coal Mine, NSW
- This coal mine project with BHP Billiton Illawarra Coal includes the design and construction of above ground facilities, tunnel access portals and the total underground coal driveage system.
- The facility produces high quality coal for export as well as for the Port Kembla Steelworks. Key infrastructure activities included constructing a new mine office and bath house facilities, conveyors, coal stockpile, train loading structures including a concrete rill tower, buildings and general infrastructure works, plus refurbishment works.
- To allow access to coal seams, Walter excavated two tunnels from the environmentally sensitive Illawarra escarpment plus a further 20 kilometres of underground roadway.
- The works included design and construction of six underground and surface conveyor systems.
North Goonyella Coal Mine, Qld
- Walter's initial work at the North Goonyella Coal mine in Central Queensland involved mains driveage work and the installing secondary support to underground roadways.
- Our mining operations have since been retained to carry out a diverse range of underground services at the mine.
- The project includes installing secondary roof and rib supports, conveyor installations, pipework and longwall face recovery and installation, underground remedial works and drift repair.
West Cliff Colliery, NSW
Moranbah North Coal Mine, Qld
Baal Bone Colliery, NSW
- Walter is carrying out rehabilitation of two east roadways at the Baal Bone Colliery.
- This area of the mine, after rehabilitation works are completed, will provide men and material access, coal clearance and ventilation for future Longwall blocks in order to extend the life of the mine.
- The works include removal of old conveyor equipment, re-supporting roadways, installing both primary and secondary support, recovering fallen intersections, constructing ventilation stoppings and installing air, water and pumping services.