What is an Eco-Villa?
The Eco-Villa is a sustainable housing concept incorporating a fully galvanised steel frame and foundations with no need for a concrete slab. The external cladding and internal fit-out can utilise a variety of materials, depending on local conditions and client specifications, allowing the product to be adaptable, in both materials used and labour required. This has allowed the Eco-Villa to be environmentally and community friendly.
During Eco-Villa construction, environmental impact and consumption of natural resources is significantly reduced due to the materials utilised, building methods and the compact shipping of framework and other materials. The steel frame packs down considerably when compared to standard wooden beams, thereby saving freight costs and reducing the impact on natural resources in terms of road wear, fuel consumption, vehicle costs and shipping etc.
The Eco-Villa can be erected simply in remote sites where roads or infrastructure do not exist, or are substandard.
- Eco-Villas have met the relevant criteria for the development of sustainable low cost housing modules. Some of these have been listed below: A flexible yet affordable permanent housing option that optimises the liveable space to footprint ratio, maximising the area to cost ratio and volume to surface area ratio reducing the need for heating and cooling;
- Designed to be sustainable within the context of the local environment, maximising the use of renewable and recyclable materials and minimising the impact of organic and non-organic waste material on the environment;
- Designed to suit a variety of environmental conditions without additional expensive machinery and/or foundations or building materials;
- Suitable for the urban and rural environment and is easily transported to such locations;
- The module has the potential to be dismantled and re-erected or simply relocated with most components being able to be recycled with minimal waste;
- Long lasting and durable – resistant to termites and corrosion thereby requiring reduced maintenance;
- Potential exists for a variety of window and cladding treatments to suit local industry, skill levels and resources;
- Can be designed to withstand cyclones, high winds, snow loading and coastal environments; and
- The sloping roof is ideal for mounting solar panels and the raised floor is perfect composting toilets and grey water systems.
- The Eco-Villa is easily added to so that families and communities are able grow. Each Eco-Villa can be extended efficiently, economically, and aesthetically, utilising the maximum floor space to cladding ratio.