Winery-Assist is an Web Enabled Control System that allows the Winemaker to control and monitor the Winery Production Floor by the click of a mouse button.
Winery-Assist helps the Winemaker to automate various functions from reporting to monitoring and control.
The areas that can benefit are:
1) Harvesting Note generation: Harvesting Note contains information about details of the grapes received and used in a particular brand.
A typical Harvesting Note would contain information on-
Vintage Variety (that is type of grape used e.g. Shiraz, Pinot Noir etc.) Region Vineyard Vintage (Year) Weight of received fruit Baume content pH value TA value Type of Yeast to be used e.g. Maurivin B Fermenter Crushing information Destemming information Tank number allocated to this vintage & variety Tank volume Yield in Lit/tonne
2) Blend Model: Wine composition determination while conforming to Label Integrity Program.
This is done by using the Blend model available in the Software. The winemaker inputs the % of vintage, region and variety and also the additives with their costs/tonne that can be added to make the same grade and quality of wine.
The software suggests the possible additives that would minimise the manufacturing costs.
Example: To make a bottle of 2003 Shiraz of Yarra Valley, the LIP requirements are:
a) At least 85% of the Shiraz must be of 2003 vintage b) At least 85% of the fruit content must be Shiraz c) At least 85% of the fruits must be from Yarra Valley
The Blend Model in Winery-Assist then displays the most economical combinations for the balance 15% for the Winemaker to choose.
However, to use this model, the winemaker needs to enter into the database, the ingredients for making Shiraz and their costs.
Features of Winery-Assist:
3) Crusher Automation
4) Static Fermenter temperature and Sugar monitoring and Control. The temperatures of the Red and White Wine Tanks are monitored on a continuous basis by the Winery-Assist Control System. The fermentation temperature is controlled at the chosen set point.
5) Winery-Assist provides 4 different options for Fermentation Temperature setting:
Starter mode: In this mode the coolant control is switched OFF and the temperature is allowed to rise to a preset limit. The temperature control kicks-in once the preset limit is reached.
Single Set-point: In this mode the fermentation temperature is held constant at the temperature value set by winemaker.
Day/Night mode: For regions with marked temperature differences between Day & Night, the winemaker can set separate Day & Night Set-points for the fermentation.
Recipe mode: In this mode the winemaker sets the fermentation temperature profile that the Fermentation Tank has to follow. The control system then controls the cooling so that this Temperature profile is met.
In all these modes the Winery-Assist controls the coolant Brine flow to maintain the Tank temperature to its set-point value.
The Temperature Set-points can be entered locally from the Computer Keyboard or remotely. The Winery-Assist can interface with PDA and the winemaker can change the set points using his PDA while doing wine tasting right at the Fermentation Tank.
Provision is also there for the Winemaker to log-on remotely onto the system over Internet and monitor the fermentation tank temperatures and sugar level.
6) End of Fermentation Prediction based on extrapolation of sugar content. This is done by measuring the concentration of sugar content (on-line) of the wine. The concentration is measured in Baume or Brix.
Provision is also kept for manually entering the Baume/Brix value based on laboratory measurements in case on-line measurement is not available.
7) Other Features of Winery-Assist:
Real Time Trend for the Set Point & Actual Tank Temperatures and Sugar content.
Data Logging of Tank No, Batch No, Composition, Tank Temperature, Sugar Content etc. on real-time basis. The Data logging sampling time is user configurable from 1 sec. to 10 min. All data are stored in a Database such as SQL Server or Access.
8) Report Generation. Report Generator generates both in html format and also in CSV format for viewing in Excel.
Alarm and Event Reporting.
Energy Management: In a winery, the coolant refrigeration is a big consumer of exceed the pre-set limit, Alarm is raised to draw winemaker's attention.
Water quality monitoring. This modules monitors the quality of waste water from the winery in terms of pH, BOD, COD, turbidity etc. temperature and Brine temperature feedback from the Temperature Control module and runs only the minimum number of compressors required to cool the Brine solution to the desired level.
9) Monitoring of humidity and temperature of storage area. In case these parameters exceed the pre-set limit, Alarm is raised to draw winemaker's attention.
Water quality monitoring. This modules monitors the quality of waste water from the winery in terms of pH, BOD, COD, turbidity etc.
10) Oak Barrel usage monitoring: The Software has a provision for maintaining Barrel usage records. All Barrel data are stored and the winemaker can quickly query and generate reports on Barrels.
Typical Barrel related data are:
1.Acquisition Year 2.Barrel Code 3.Cooperage & Country of Origin 4.Toast 5.Type 6.Volume
11) Interfaces with MS-Excel.
ODBC connectivity provided for interfacing with the Plant database.
12) Hardware & Software Requirements:
The Control Hardware can be any one of the following:
a) PC based OPEN PLC (IEC 61131) Control. b) Advanced Single Loop Controllers (only if Temperature Control module is implemented). c) A Standard PLC
The HMI runs on a Pentium 4 computer with Windows XP Pro or Windows 2003 Server OS and at least 1GB RAM. For a full installation, Windows 2003 server is required for Domain Administration and Remote Log-IN, I/O server etc whereas Windows XP based Workstations are used for Operator Interfaces.
We are an Automation Engineering & IT Solution Provider based in Victoria, Australia. We have over 100 man years of quality technical and project management experience.
We offer proven and expert ...