Home Trusted by 600,000+ buyers

WorkSafe reminder about licences needed for high risk work

27 March, 2008

WorkSafe has issued a reminder to workers engaged in high risk work that they need to obtain a licence to perform that work.

The National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work replaced National Certificates of Competency last year, and some workers will need to have the new licence by September 30 this year.

Everyone performing high risk work will require a licence by June 30 2012, but the date by which individuals need to have the licence depends upon when their Certificates of Competency were issued.

Workers holding a WA Certificate of Competency or OHS Certification Australia Card issued before December 31 1995 will need to convert to the new licences before September 30.

WorkSafe WA Commissioner Nina Lyhne has urged people involved with high risk work to check on the issue date of their Certificates of Competency and act to replace them with the new licences as soon as possible.

“In agreeing to adopt the national licensing standard, we have acknowledged the important role high-quality training plays in helping provide workers with the skills to perform high risk work safely and competently,” Lyhne said.

“The new licensing applies to anyone engaged in work considered to be “high risk”, including scaffolding, dogging and rigging work and the operation of cranes, hoists and pressure equipment.

“The other significant change is that forklift operators in WA are now required to hold a high risk work licence, whereas National Certificates of Competency for forklift operation were previously issued on a non-compulsory basis.

“Since the regulations were implemented on October 1 last year, WorkSafe has issued almost 12,000 new licences.

“The licensing system offers the twin benefits of national consistency and portability while also addressing concerns that existed in some sectors with the previous system of certification.

“It is important to note that employers still have an overall responsibility to provide workers with appropriate information, instruction and training for each individual job.”

Further information on the new licensing requirements can be obtained by telephoning WorkSafe on 9327 8728 or on the website at www.worksafe.wa.gov.au (type ‘high risk work licence’ into the ‘search DOCEP’ field).

Have your say...

We welcome thoughtful comments from readers
Reload characters
Type the characters you see in this box. This helps us prevent automated programs from sending spam.