Wrought Alloys 3xxx - Al-Mn Alloys
- High formability, corrosion resistance, and joinability; medium strength
- Heat transfer, packaging, roofing-siding applications
- Representative alloys:3003,3004,3005
- Typical ultimate tensile strength range:16-41 ksi
Alloy 3003 is widely used in cooking utensils and chemical equipment because of its superiority in handling many foods and chemicals,and in builders’ hardware. Alloy 3105 is a principal for roofing and siding. Variations of the 3xxx series are used in sheet and tubular form for heat exchangers in vehicles and power plants.
Alloy 3004 and its modification 3104 are among the most widely used aluminium alloys because they are drawn and ironed into the bodies of beverage cans.
Typical applications include:
- Automotive radiator heat exchangers are of alloys like 3002;
- Alloy 3003 tubing in commercial power plant heat exchanger;
- The bodies of beverage cans are alloys 3004 or 3104,making it the largest volume alloy combination in the industry.