Wrought Alloys - 4xxxAl-Si Alloys
- Heat treatable
- Good flow characteristics, medium strength
- Pistons, complex-shaped forgings;
- Representative alloys:4032 and filler alloy 4043
- Typical ultimate tensile strength range:25-55 ksi
Alloy 4043 on the other hand is one of the most widely used filler alloys for gas-metal arc (GMA) and gas-tungsten arc (GTA) welding 6xxx alloys for structural and automotive applications.
The same characteristic leads to both applications: good flow characteristic provided by the high silicon content, which in the case of forgings ensures the filling of complex dies and in the case of welding ensures complete filling of crevices and grooves in the members to be joined. For the same reason, other variations of the 4xxx alloys are used for the cladding on brazing sheet, the component that flows to complete the bond.
- The several classes of 4xxx alloys in widest use are represented by the following applications:
- Refrigerator coolant circulation system in brazed unit of high- Si brazing alloy sheet.
- Alloy 4043 is one of the most widely used weld wires