Such technology is increasingly becoming the solution of choice for materials handling equipment in extended or multi-shift applications.
The initial cost premium of Li-ion batteries can be recovered with payback times of two to three years in a multiple shift application.
Li-ion batteries have a number of key advantages compared to traditional batteries:
- Due to fast charging times and opportunity charging the operating range of the Li-ion battery can be extended and a single battery can replace the second or third lead-acid battery. With over 3750 cycles (at 80% discharge) the Yale Li-ion battery has three times the life of a lead acid battery (1200 cycles).
- Battery change-overs can be eliminated, saving travel- as well as handling-time. Opportunity charging can be carried out in close proximity to work areas or break rooms so that trucks can be charged when idle.
- Li-ion batteries are sealed and do not require regular topping up of water or periodic equalisation charging so they are essentially maintenance-free.
- Li-ion batteries and chargers are inherently energy efficient. Compared to lead-acid batteries, savings up to 30% in energy costs are possible.
- Li-ion batteries are environmentally friendly; the gassing that occurs with lead-acid batteries does not occur with lithium-ion. They are emission-free as well as offering a lower CO2 footprint.
- Particularly suited for intensive and high throughput warehouse and line feed operations.
- A single Li-ion battery can replace multiple sets of batteries and release space used for charging.
- Food and pharmaceutical industries will benefit from the reduced risk of chemical spillage.
- Other industries, such as automotive, retail and logistics, will benefit from the use of a single battery for a multi-shift operation.
Excellent Charging Capabilities
- Convenient opportunity charging with no adverse impact on battery life.
- No battery exchange process required, resulting in more uptime.
- Li-ion batteries charge faster than traditional batteries and rapid charger options are available.
Emission and Maintenance-Free
- Fully sealed battery (IP54), resulting in no acid spills or contamination.
- No sulfation issues can occur and no equalisation charge is required.
- Free of gaseous emissions. No ventilation required during charging.
- Lower CO2 footprint compared to traditional batteries.
- Reduced maintenance costs as topping up of water is not required.
Integrated Solution with CAN bus Communication
- Truck battery discharge indicator displays the state of charge of the Li-ion battery.
- Lift lock out functionality prevents over discharge during operation.
- Integration includes error reporting on truck and controlled truck shutdown, if a critical battery fault should occur.
- Matched battery and charger communicate via CAN bus before and during the charge cycle to optimise battery performance and life.