Polyurethane Elastomers are extremely versatile materials and this has been the key to their widespread applications use.
Polyurethane Elastomers are unique design and construction materials combining many of the advantages of rigid plastics, metals and ceramics with the extensibility of rubber.
There are many different types of Polyurethanes. The four basic types are;
a. POLYETHER / TDI
b. POLYETHER / MDI
c. POLYESTER / TDI
d. POLYESTER / MDI
As a general guide:
- Polyethers are recommended for applications were parts undergo dynamic stress. ie. They incur lower heat build-up. They also have advantages in resilience, low temperature performance and resistance to water attack (hydrolysis). Polyethers also have lower viscosity and specific gravity.
- Polyester based urethanes have superior cut, tear, abrasion, oil and solvent resistance.
- MDI based products have lower isocyanate odour than similar TDI types and have superior hydrolysis resistance and higher resilience.
- TDI based products are less sensitive to moisture, have shorter demould times and lower cure temperature requirements compared to MDI types.
PROPERTIES OF POLYURETHANE: Polyurethane can be adapted to comprise a wide range of unique properties, which is a key factor of its versatility.
- Abrasion Resistance.
- Toughness – tensile strength.
- High Load bearing ability.
- High tear resistance.
- Mechanical Properties.
- Resistance to water, oil, grease.
- Electrical properties.
- Corrosion resistance.
- Colour Range.
- Cost effectiveness (when long service life of PU parts are taken into account)
|Automotive||Grommets, bearings, bushes, flexible couplings.|
|Building and Constructions||Moulds for concrete, gate seals, concrete pump ports|
|Electrical||Encapsulation, insulation, potting, cable joining.|
|Engineered||Gears, sprockets, wire guides, rail draft gear, stripper plates, press brake pads, textile yarn guides, cutting boards, business machine belts, couplings|
|Food||Chute lining, grain buckets|
|Mining||Bucket liners, conveyor rollers, scraper blades, flotation cell impellers, pump linings, grading screens, lined pipes, cross-over pads|
|Oil, Chemical and Marine||Bushings, bearings, hydro clones, buoys, pipeline pigs and scrapers, fenders, valve seats|
|Rollers||Board rollers, nip rollers, metal forming, printing, conveyor, can coating, paper mill|
|Seals and Gaskets||Pneumatic and oil seals, diaphragms|