Welcome to spring & days of increased humidity. There are a variety of humidity control systems but there are a few things you can do with an air conditioner to assist in reducing indoor humidity
Some simple things you can do to reduce moisture indoors:
- If you have an air conditioner in the room, ensure doors and windows are closed.
- If the AC has a fan setting, reduce it to its lowest setting. This:
- keeps the system running longer as it takes longer for the unit to reach the set temperature
- gives the compressor and cooling coil time to dehumidify the air rather than just cool it.
Remember an air conditioner is not simply there as a cooling device, it is made to condition the air.
If you are wanting moisture to be removed dramatically, then a dehumidifier is a better option. It is also far more energy efficient.
The difference between a dehumidifier and an air conditioner is that the dehumidifier decreases the humidity level by drying the air, making it warmer and removing the moisture. An air conditioner removes humidity by cooling the air. However, when an air conditioner reaches its temperature set point, it stops dehumidifying.
Depending on the indoor temperature you want to maintain will determine whether you require a refrigerant or desiccant dehumidifier. Some industrial and commercial applications will require both a dehumidifier and air conditioner to provide complete humidity control.
If, for example you are after a cold storage dehumidifier then desiccant is the way to go. If you want a storage dehumidifier to keep a basement or cellar dry and free from moisture, but you do not need the temperature to be below 20° C, then a refrigerant dehumidifier is for you.
BENEFITS OF DEHUMIDIFICATION TECHNOLOGY INCLUDE:
- Stops corrosion and rust. Reduce damage to machinery from by steam caused by heat or moisture caused by ice build up or condensation
- Reduces hygiene problems with improved air quality
- Reduces mould and mildew. These are caused by excess moisture in the air and can spread very easily. Think archiving and preservation.
- Complete climate control. Ideal for industries where creating hygroscopic ingredients that are required to be made, stored or transported in extremely precise temperatures. Think pharmaceutical manufactures and powdered products like dairy and protein powders.
- Removes condensation and fog
- Eliminates ice-build up in cold stores and freezers
- Reduces your energy consumption and cost
- Excellent in flood clean up and restoration