Casting Alloys | 3xx.x Al-Si+Cu or Mg Alloys
- Heat treatable/sand, permanent mold,and die castings
- Excellent fluidity/high strength/some high-toughness alloys
- Automotive and applications/pistons/pumps/electricAl
- Representative alloys:356.0, A356.0,359.0, A360.0
- Approximate ultimate tensile strength range:19-40 ksi
Further the 3xx.x series may be cast by a variety of techniques ranging from relatively simple sand or die casting to very intricate permanent mold,lost foam/lost wax type castings,and the newer thixocasting and squeeze casting technologies.
Among the workhorse alloys are 319.0 and 356.0/A356.0 for sand and permanent mould casting,360.0, 380.0/A380.0 and 390.0 for die casting, and 357.0/A357.0 for many type of casting including especially the squeeze/forge cast technologies.
Alloy 332.0 is also one of the most frequently used aluminium casting alloys because it can be made almost exclusively from recycled scrap.
Among the applications are:
- 356.0 inner turbo frame for a Mercedes truck
- Gearbox casing for a passenger car in alloy pressure die cast 380.0
- Rear axle housing of 380.0 sand casting
- Automotive components of 357.0 and A357.0 sand and permanent mould castings
- 3xxx.x castings made by the lost-foam process, providing exceptional detail and complexity.
- A356.0 cast wheels are now widely used in the US industry