80% of UPS failures are due to undetected battery problems. All batteries fail, its just a matter of time. If you’re operating mission critical systems and relying on the protection of a UPS and battery bank, then it has to make sense to have battery monitoring. It’s about peace of mind – knowing that the batteries are healthy and being constantly monitored. Knowing that everything has been done, that can be done, to protect your enterprise from the consequences of a power failure.
PowerShield’s continuous data sampling, reporting and battery management capability delivers reduced costs, gives peace of mind, and most importantly – ensures that you have batteries that perform when needed.
It only takes the failure of one battery to compromise the entire battery string. It is often assumed that batteries are meticulously maintained, but this is rarely so. Many batteries are not inspected or maintained beyond an annual UPS service visit. Unknown and undetected battery failures become apparent right at the time when you need the batteries the most – during a mains failure. UPS systems provide only rudimentary battery monitoring.
The UPS cannot identify faults within individual batteries, nor detect an imbalance in the performance of multiple strings. To ensure the integrity of the battery system, it is necessary to detect failing blocks before they affect the performance of the entire system. The effectiveness of a battery monitoring system is proportional to the number of points that are monitored and the frequency that this occurs. With regular monitoring comes the accumulation of data, the ability to report and spot trends, and the ability to take timely remedial action.
- Permanent Monitoring for lead-acid and Ni-Cad batteries
- 24/7 alarm notification.
- Automatic capture and recording of data during float, charge, discharge & idle.
- Compatible with float & intermittent charging.
- Rapid voltage sampling – all batteries simultaneously every 4 seconds.
- Built in intelligence – battery state recognition & self calibration for reliable impedance.
- User defined alarm limits.
- On-board memory.
- Sealed, vented, Ni-Cd batteries.
- Flexible to suit battery model & application.
- Designed to allow IEEE/IEC best practice.
- Remote reporting service available.
- WAN/LAN integration for remote monitoring via Link software.
- RS 232 connection for local battery service and diagnosis.
- SNMP or Modbus interface to Building Management Systems.
- Dry contacts for alarm output.