Working safely at heights
This is especially important for workers required to climb ladders and vertical structures, as a slip or fall resulting from a moments lapse in concentration or sudden feeling of illness will result in the worker falling backwards away from the structure or straight down, quickly generating great velocity.
The consequences of such a fall are likely to be significant upon the worker and the employer. Contrary to popular thinking, ladders installed with safety cages offer workers no protection at all. Recent research carried out by the UK Health and Safety Executive** clearly shows that workers falling inside a caged ladder will suffer significant injuries from impact with the structure.
An impact force of 22G’s could be suffered by a worker after only 2 seconds freefalling. (14G’s is sufficient to cause a severe head injury.) The EasyClimber® vertical climbing system, permanently installed to a ladder or vertical structure that requires frequent or predictable access can mitigate against such risks and provide a functional and practical means of access and egress.
EasyClimber® Systems are available for use in the following situations:
- Ladder access
- Mast and pylon access including lattice construction towers and monopoles
- Wind turbine access
- Lighting column access
- Bridge and inclined structure access
Common features of the EasyClimber system
No matter which EasyClimber® System suits your specific safety requirement, the same high quality of product and system functionality features throughout the product range. A tensioned 8mm, 1 x 19 construction, stainless steel cable runs the length of the climbing area, supported at intervals that suit site conditions by intermediate cable supports. The Monkey® Attachment Device allows hands free continuous movement on the system, bypassing the intermediate supports without the need for user intervention.
- Components are made from high quality materials with corrosion resistant finishes ensuring they are suitable for installation in a range of aggressive environments**
- All system components are fully traceable in accordance with Uniline’s strict quality system
- Systems can be retrofitted to existing structures or included as part of a new structural access solution
- The system can support multiple workers
- Systems conform to and are tested in accordance with EN353-1, AS/NZ, OSHA, CSA, and ANSI standards and are CE marked, providing international customers with a global safety solution
- A tension indicator at the bottom of the system provides visual indication that the system is safe for use
- Intermediate brackets support the cable and prevent adverse wind chatter and cable fretting. (30 million oscillations to simulate a 25m/s wind speed have been applied during product testing)
- Energy absorbing elements in either the top anchor or attachment device protect the structure and reduces the arrest force on the worker to safe limits
- Systems provide uninterrupted movement for the user during ascent and descent
- Users can attach and detach at any point along the length of the system, allowing access to platforms and adjacent work areas
** (Top and Bottom Anchors are available in galvanised steel or stainless steel. Galvanised steel supplied as standard.)
For more information on Vertical Fall Arrest | EasyClimber System, please click here.