Auto-transformers are a single winding transformer, useful where isolation from the mains supply is not required.
SES can design & supply custom auto-transformers to importers of electrical equipment, or electrical contractors installing imported equipment.
SES can supply:
- Single Phase Auto-transformers
- Three Phase Auto-transformers
- Friendly Advice To Assist With Your Application
Advantages of SES Auto-transformers:
- Fast turnaround of custom transformers - often within days
- Robust construction
- Available as open type with flying leads or terminal blocks
- Choice of mounting brackets
- Terminal blocks or flying leads
- Tough Varnish Coating - either clear or black.
- Can be encased in powder coated steel (IP21) enclosure for hard wiring
- Insulation classes up to class H - 180Ã,Â°C
- Available in a wide power range - from 10VA to 500 KVA
- Australian Standard AS61558 - 1997 compliant
If you have electrical equipment from overseas that is designed to operate on a voltage different to Australian power (single phase 240v 50Hz, or three phase 415v 50Hz) we can help you with the correct auto-transformer.
Save yourself the expense of having imported electrical equipment rewound to operate from Australian power . A suitably rated auto-transformer can save you the expense of having equipment rewound, or having to buy an isolation transformer.
Auto-transformers are ideal for adapting imported equipment to Australian power (single phase 240v 50Hz, or three phase 415v 50Hz).
Auto-transformers are smaller, lighter & cheaper than isolation transformers of the same power.
For example, a three phase auto-transformer to power equipment rated at 200v 10KVA (imported from Japan) would be about half the size & weight of an equivalent isolation transformer.
Even greater savings can be achieved using an auto-transformer if the input & output voltages are closer together - e.g. single phase 240v / 220v or three phase 415v / 380v
Important Points To Consider With Auto-transformers :
- Auto-transformers do not provide isolation from the electrical supply.
- Auto-transformers are only suitable when the ratio of input/output is less than about half. Single phase 240v input / 100v are around the lowest viable output voltage.
- Similarly, three phase 415v input / 200v output is about the lowest viable output voltage.
- Auto-transformers can be used for step up as well as the more common step down applications.
- There is always a common terminal in an Auto-transformer - this must always be connected to the neutral of the input supply (not the active).
- Care should be taken to ensure that any imported equipment will operate at a power frequency of 50Hz. Some imported equipment (e.g. motors) may be rated at 60Hz only (as opposed to 50-60Hz) and may overheat if operated at 50Hz, even with the correct voltage applied.
- Australian Standard AS 3000 - 1986 (Clause 4.28.4) requires that an auto-transformer that changes voltage by more than 25% must be an integral part of the equipment it is powering. This can be achieved by hard wiring the equipment to the output of the auto-transformer.
With our wide range of components & enclosures in stock, you can have a custom made auto-transformer designed specifically for your needs within days. Phone, fax or email your enquiry to us today - we may be able to help you even if you are unsure of the specifications required.
To Know More about Auto-transformers Please click here